Although mandolin manufacturing isn`t the most popular business in the United States, it has its` pioneers as well. The Breedlove company is the first one, that has started making mandolins professionally. Let us take a look at one of their devices.
|1||Breedlove Crossover Mandolin||35.8 x 16 x 6.5 inches||Mandolin||1|| |
|2||Rogue RM-100 A Style Mandolin||27.8 x 13.2 x 3.9 inches||Mahogany||2|| |
|3||Ibanez M510DVS Mandolin||27 x 3 x 10.5 inches||Mahogany||3|| |
|Breedlove Crossover Mandolin|
|Dimensions||35.8 x 16 x 6.5 inches|
|Rogue RM-100 A Style Mandolin|
|Dimensions||27.8 x 13.2 x 3.9 inches|
|Ibanez M510DVS Mandolin|
|Dimensions||27 x 3 x 10.5 inches|
The first idea to create a manufacturing company has come to Larry Breedlove in 1990. Two years later the first small factory was opened. It had 5 different models only. The active stage of development lasted for 10 years. Several branches were opened worldwide, including some states of America and South Korea.
The first thing worth discussing is the physical parameters. I believe that what we need to know first is the body type, body material, device`s measurements and design. There will also be some other features.
|Breedlove Crossover Mandolin Technical Characteristics|
|Body Type||This mandolin has F-Type of body with two F-Holes. Double hole makes the sound more efficient and bright. In my opinion it`s a nice engineering design for the body. The mandolin has 20 strings.|
|Body Material||Breedlove Crossover mandolin is made of maple, with sitka spruce top and rosewood fretboard. All the wood is solid and durable. Spruce top allows the sound resonate and spread correctly, while maple is soft-sitting.|
|Measurements||The dimensions of this device are the following: 16 * 35.5 * 5.5 inches (which is 406 * 901 * 140 in millimeters). The weight is about 2.5 kilograms. The nearest comparison to it is a ¾ guitar. It will comfortable for adult players as well as for the beginners and children over 12 years old.|
|Design||I don`t usually mention things like that, but this mandolin has really beautiful full-body gloss finish with sunburst design. I am the complete fan of sunburst-looking-like stuff, so this thing attracts me a lot.|
Now, that we`ve discussed the general information, let me mention some more specified features of this mandolin:
- The mandolin has a wider nut width and radiused fretboard. Although this thing is not typical for classical mandolins, it makes the construction more similar to the construction of an acoustic guitar. These upgrades will increase the level of playability comfort not only for the guitar players, who decided to spread their range, but for experienced mandolin players as well.
- Two alternative design patterns are available: stain gloss and natural gloss (but as the price doesn`t differ, I highly recommend choosing the sunburst one).
I, honestly, haven`t tried it myself, so all the conclusions I make here are based on what I`ve learned from different people and found on the internet. Here are the things worth pointing out:
- The sound isn`t as bright and loud as the guitar`s. It has different tones and is different overall. The closest description I can give to it is that it sounds like something antique and atmospheric.
- Mandolin requires different technique of playing. It will definitely take some time to get used to it.
Summing Things Up
Let me mention the most important parts of this article:
- Breedlove is pioneer in mandolin producing in the United States.
- Breedlove crossover mandolin is a worthy device, designed in a way to ease the mandolin learning for guitar players.
- There are decent mandolins from different manufacturers as well.
Rogue RM-100 A Style Mandolin
This is a small (smaller than ½ guitar) classical budget mandolin. It has 12 frets and chrome tuners. Adjusting and playing it is easier, than the classical mandolins and even easier than some guitars. The combination of nice build, efficient sound and affordable price make this one a “bang-for-a-buck” for any beginner.
- Maple neck
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Adjustable compensated rosewood bridge
- 12th-fret neck joint
- Chrome tuning machines
Ibanez M510DVS Mandolin
This device is a great choice for a developing and self-confident player. It has a spruce top and mahogany body (these are by far the best materials for under 1000 dollars devices). The build is as classical as it can be. Final advantage of this device is its` design (not AS great as sunburst imho, but still a beautiful one).
- A-style mandolin
- Select spruce top
- Mahogany back & sides
- Chrome hardware
- Pearl Dot Inlay