|#||Model||Rating||Weight||Battery life||Our top||Check|
|1||LC Prime Portable Clip Amplifier||11.2 ounces||14 hours||1|| |
|2||Mini Electric Guitar Amplifier||7.72 pounds||12 hours||2|| |
|3||Vox AP2CL Amplug||3.2 ounces||17 hours||2|| |
|LC Prime Portable Clip Amplifier|
|Battery life||14 hours|
|Mini Electric Guitar Amplifier|
|Battery life||12 hours|
|Vox AP2CL Amplug|
|Battery life||17 hours|
A Little General Information
So, for this review I had found three mini guitar amplifiers. They all come from different manufacturers and have different features. However all of them have something in common:
They all are affordable
I didn`t pick the cheapest possible devices, but I tried to find amplifiers, that everyone can afford.
They all are really compact
Mini means mini. No wires, light weight, small dimensions.
A bang for a buck
Although mini amplifier can hardly provide the studio quality of sound, I looked for the ones, that would at least sound decent for the price.
LC Prime Portable Clip Amplifier
I didn`t manage to find a lot of information about LC Prime. As far as I understood from their website, it is company, that produces and sells budget audio equipment. Although it seems pretty young, the amount of goods is impressing. So, I thought that it is worth giving a chance to this manufacturer.
First, let us take a look at what this little thing is capable of from technical point of view:
|Physical Dimensions||The amplifier is really small. It has 98 * 139 * 46 millimeters dimensions while weighing 230 grams only. It`s not bigger nor heavier than a smartphone. You can easily carry this one around in a pocket even.|
|The Battery||LC Prime has 3.7/1500 mAh battery. After being fully charged it can last up to three days in sleep-mode or provide 6-hour long recording session. It supports USB/DC5V charge.|
|Sound Qualities||The amplifier can go as loud as 70 DB, with the total distortion of 0.3 per cent only. Partly this is because the value of impedance, which, by the way, is 4. The device is loud enough for home recording for sure.|
|Sensitivity||The sensitivity varies from negative fifty to positive three hundred mV. This value is enough, if you are looking for decent sounding, but, of course, can not compete with full-sized devices.|
The package consists of an amplifier itself and the recharge USB-cable.
This is a multifunctional device that has following features:
- Can be plugged right in the guitar or with the ¼ cable. The clip makes it possible to place this amplifier right on the guitar. It is useful, if you are travelling, however if you do not lack space, you can use just like a usual guitar amplifier, with a wire.
- Micro-, Headphones-, and AUX-inputs. A lot of different devices can be connected to this one. In fact, LC Prime can be both an amplifier, a sound recorder and an MP3 player even. It is indeed an all-in-one solution. Just as claimed by the developers.
- Overdrive and tone control. Bass overdrive and tone control provide a lot of adjustability.
Mini Electric Guitar Amplifier
Let us proceed to reviewing more specified amplifiers. Here is one provided by MetalBay. It is used for classical electric and bass guitars.
Knowing technical parameters is important in terms of planning your studio and workplace. Although there will not be any issues with placing this one, let`s take a look:
|The amplifier is compact. It is 3.4’’ * 1.5’’ * 0.7’’ inches (which is 72.6 * 38.1 * 17,8 in millimeters) and weighs around 4 ounces (130 gramms). You`ll probably have more problems with not losing it, than with finding a place for storing.|
|The Battery||The device has rechargeable 1200 mAh battery. It is quite powerful for a small amplifier like this one. It will provide at least six hours of recording session.|
|Sound Qualities||The loudness can be raised up to at least 50 DB. The natural distortion level is low, but it can be raised artificially, with a built-in controller. Sound itself is clean and clear.|
|Sensitivity||The lowest sensitivity level is negative fifty, while the highest is positive two hundred. Not the highest values in the World, but enough for home recording.|
The package consists of the amplifier itself, the USB charge wire, a cable and a splitter plug. I`ll tell more about it in a moment.
Even the device this small has its` own specific features:
- Adjustability. MetalBay`s mini amplifier has 3 adjustment knobs: for volume, for drive and for tone. Although these are the very basic ones, having them is enough for practicing in the beginning. There is a small bonus, the distortion adjustment, as well.
- AUX Input. As you probably already know, AUX input is used for connecting amplifiers to casual electronic devices like MP3 players. So, it is possible to play along to your favorite melody.
- A Splitter Plug. A splitter plug is a simple device, that transforms one guitar input into two, so it is possible to amplify to guitars at once (you`ll need an extra cable for that). Playing a duo is easy with this one.
Vox AP2CL Amplug
Voxamps is an old company. Its` history starts back in 1958, when AC15 was invented in England. The amplifier became popular really quick. Inventor has gathered a crew fast and started producing new models, which all were successful. Development of VoxAmps has been smooth, so today this manufacturer is know widely.
VoxAmps has a line of plug-and-play amplifiers, which consists of 6 models: classic rock, metal, blues, clean, bass and lead. Each of them has unique sounding and adjustment values. I`ll only review classic one, which is the most universal one.
|Physical Dimensions||The item is 5.1’’ * 1,4’’ * 7,2’’ inches (which is 130 * 35,5 * 182,8 in millimeters). The weight is 3.5 ounces (around 100 gramms). As any other mini amplifier, it can be stored almost anywhere.|
|The Battery||AmPlug 2 Classic (like any other model of the series) has a rechargeable battery, which is powerful enough for a record session up till 8 hours.|
|Sound Qualities||For an amplifier this small, level of 80 DB is quite impressive. The distortion is almost unnoticeable even in the highest volume range. The impedance is average.|
AmPlug 2 classical has the following features:
- AUX input and headphone output. First one is used to connect to a player. This, as you already should know, creates an opportunity to jam along with some melodies. Learning practice of this type is really useful for any kind of player, especially for the new one.
- Volume, tone and gain adjustment. Again, the basic adjustments only, but they are good enough for basic trainings and small performances. It is also quite useful, if you have extreme conditions (like you need to play really silently).
- Auto power-off function. One of those convenient little things, that you do not pay much attention to, but which is really helpful. Even if you forget to turn the amplifier off, it will deactivate itself after staying in idle mode for half an hour.
I still think, the variety of options in this line is the most important feature. It will come in handy, if you`ve already decided which playstyle you prefer. The loudness and overall quality of production are great as well
In conclusion, I would like to say that any of these three mini guitar amplifiers is a good choice for beginners and travelers. They are compact, affordable (if you lose or break one, you can simply buy the same without any major losses) and have the same plug-and-play concept. Here is the information, that is worth keeping in my mind when choosing one:
- If you decided to purchase the mini amplifier, the first thing you should think about is the battery life duration. It should last for at least four hours, but the longer – the better.
- Don`t look for a lot of adjustability. Having basic features like volume, tone and drive is enough.