Andy James is a swiftly rising star of world guitar music. In addition to creativity, Andy teaches and inspires guitarists all around the world. AJ’s signature guitars, created by ESP LTD, have already become his “business card”. They are designed under Andy’s strict guidance, resulting in a comfortable and perfectly sounding instrument.
|#||Model||Rating||Body material||Neck material||Our top||Check|
|1||Andy James Singnature AJ-1||Mahogany||Maple||1|| Check|
|2||ESP Artist Series LGH200||Basswood||Maple||4|| Check|
|3||ESP LTD EC-401||Mahogany||Mahogany||2|| Check|
|4||ESP Artist Series LAJ7BLKS||Solid Wood||Maple||3|
|Andy James Singnature AJ-1|
|ESP Artist Series LGH200|
|ESP LTD EC-401|
|ESP Artist Series LAJ7BLKS|
|Body material||Solid Wood|
Guitar ESP LTD Andy James. AJ-1’s review
This 25.5-inch scaled instrument is made quite thoroughly, and the guitar itself is pretty beautiful. It was created exactly for the metal music; the fast solo performances are the best what can be obtained from AJ-1. Excellent long sustain , active sound, due to the bridge system TonePros and the locks, the guitar stays tuned for a long time.
- Design: Mahogany body;
- Neck maple with Thin U-profile;
- Fingerboard: rosewood;
- Markers: displaced blocks, inlay Andy James on the 12th fret;
The AJ-1 guitar has a Mahogany body and has a specific maple neck. Mahogany is deservedly considered one of the best materials for guitars. Its timbre is characterized by deep downs and smoothed tops. You receive a buzzing velvet sound.
- Radius of overlap: 350 mm;
- 25.5″ neck of double octave;
- 24 XJ frets;
- Bottom width: 42 mm;
- Bridge: TonePros Tune-O-Matic;
- Pegs: Locking Tuners;
- Pickups: EMG 66 (neck), EMG 57 (bridge);
- Adjustable knobs: volume, 3-position switch;
- Strings: 10-46.
The neck-through body construction includes maple slab with the neck, which are sandwiched between two parts of Mahogany. Creating well established guitars is a design principle and really superb sustain is achieved due to pass-through neck.
The headstock with locking tuners is brilliant. Andy’s signature across the center looks very cool indeed.
Both replaceable pickups look very cool with their perfect steel finish. The toggle switch of three way pickup selector and single master volume control are simple LTD’s electronics solutions.
ESP LTD Andy James sounds fantastic being plugged-in; the pickups “work” properly. Playability is superb.
These options of AJ-1 do not flash and have a high output and a distinctive recognizable timbre. New ESP picks keep the tuned string more stable, you can replace strings easier.
Bridge System TonePros
It is rather an innovative enhancement of the Tune-O-Matic. The bridge and the string holder are completely fixed by means of two small screws at the edges. Rigid fixation provides increasing sustain , the instrument sound becomes more complete, and the change of strings is more convenient.
According to many reviews, the location of the volume control and toggle switch for this guitar are ideal, all styles sound great.
- In terms of playback, this guitar is like a wonderful dream. There is no stop-bar, and due to this the guitar has a tremendous sustain.
- Excellent guitar, 24-fret, and design/engineering are clear and simple.
- Good for playing at concerts; this guitar is best for rock heavy metal. It sounds great both on a mini amplifier during rehearsals and on a relatively large amplifier during concerts.
- Switching from EMG 57 (B) to 66 (N) has also got an audible difference. The creamy, sublime 66ger sound is completely convincing.
- You can cover the fingerboard with a thin layer of lemon oil.
- When you play in a standing position, it gives soft and pleasant impression. You always have a good view of frets.
What alternatives can the market offer?
A new subscription model of electric guitar – AJ-1 was created specifically for Andy James, taking into account all his wishes. Ergonomic body, active electronics EMG and convenient “high-speed” profile of the neck make this guitar an excellent shred machine.
ESP Artist Series LGH200
This made in black solid body electric guitar will allow you to feel the Gary’s style to let yourself to enjoy the vibration and powerful sound.
You can consider the LTD Gary Holt Signature GH200 Black as an analog.
- It is completed with Basswood body, maple u-shaped thin neck, the construction bolt-on neck is, 24.75″ scale and a rosewood fingerboard.
- This guitar is also featuring ESP-designed 22 extra jumbo frets and pickups.
ESP LTD EC-401
The price for this electric guitar is about 699 $. It has a Mahogany body and rosewood fingerboard. It comes equipped with a tom bridge & tailpiece. It has a set-neck construction and a 24.75″ scale with 24 extra jumbo frets and a thin-u neck contour.
It features versatile, powerful colors, reliable equipment and a neat, attractive appearance. Easy play, excellent resonance and sustain .
- The pickups are active EMG 81(b) and EMG 60(n).
- The guitar completed with Grover Tuners and a 3-way toggle switch control system.
ESP Artist Series LAJ7BLKS
This 7-string guitar comes for price of about 880 $, but you can find cheaper one. It is a solid body musical instrument performed in black satin for a perfect look.
- Solid Wood body with a maple neck (thin-u neck contour)
- Neck-thru construction
- A toggle switch control
- Rosewood fingerboard
- 24 extra jumbo frets
- Tonepros Tom bridge w/string thru body
- 25.5″ scale
- Emg metalworks 57-7h(b) and 66-7h(n) are the pickups