|1||Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre||3-way||3.75 pounds||1|| Check|
|2||PZ Deluxe Acoustic Preamp||3-way||1.1 pound||2|| Check|
|3||Bassbone OD Two-Channel Bass Preamp||2-way||1 pound||3|| Check|
|Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre|
|PZ Deluxe Acoustic Preamp|
|Bassbone OD Two-Channel Bass Preamp|
Although preamplifier isn`t the most essential thing to own, having one will always be nice in terms of extended sound producing. Let us take a look at some products manufactured by Radial engineering.
Radial Engineering Company
Radial Engineering was established in 1991. The company was originally oriented towards creating some cables. However, local engineers were trying to produce something else. Their attempts were pretty successful. The first Radial DI Box was launched in 1996 and became popular pretty fast.
Nowadays the company several lines (Radial, Tonebone, Hafler, Dynaco). Each of this lines includes a set of narrowly oriented audio devices. We are especially interested in Tonebone today, the line that focuses on preamps, switchers and pedals. I`ll cover some popular preamps from the line today.
Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre
First things first, let me tell you about the physical characteristics (the weight, the dimensions and the material the device is made of). Knowing information of this kind makes it easy to plan your studio and carrying the piece of equipment around.
|The Weight||The item weighs 3.75 pounds (which is like a kilo and a half). The preamp is light-weighed, so it can be carried around easily.|
|The Dimensions||PZ-pre is 13’’ * 5.5’’ * 3.5 inches (which is 330 * 140 * 89 in millimeters). It is like a large book. One can easily place it in the backpack or suitcase.|
|The Material||Preamp is made out of solid plastic, has plastic knobs and everything. It is not an easy-to-break one, but it will definitely not survive pouring in the water.|
Now let us take a look at the technical feaures:
- Two channels for instrument switching
- Notch and resonance filters
- Pre and post radial DI outputs
These types of outputs make it possible to connect PA and monitors. The sound can be played out loud, or analyzed while the guitar is connected to professional studio monitors.
- Power booster and mute controller
However the greatest feature of Radial Tonebone Pz-Pre is that it can be connected to any type of acoustic device. I mean guitars, banjos, mandolins, ukuleles, contrabasses, etc. So the thing is really multifunctional and suitable in any type of studio or live performance.
- With a 3-band EQ, variable notch filter
- high-pass filter
- Also included are separate pre- and post-EQ DI outs for monitoring and FOH connections, plus a tuner out with footswitch mute
PZ Deluxe Acoustic Preamp
Let us follow the review pattern we already have. Technical characteristics first:
|The Weight||PZ Deluxe preamp weighs only 1.1 pound, which is a little less than half a kilo. The light-weighed device like this one can easily be handled even by children and women.|
|The Dimensions||This preamp is 5’’ * 3’’ * 1’’ inches (which is 127 * 76 * 25.5 in millimeters). It is more like a huge chocolate bar, than a piece of audio equipment, but, well, as still as the size doesn`t affect qualities, why not have something this compact in the pocket?|
|The Material||There is nothing surprising. All PZ-series are made of the same material. It is OK in terms of durability, but not the perfect one for sure.|
Here are some features of this preamplifier:
- High functionality
- Quiet Performance
The preamp has foot controllers for boosting the power and muting. It is possible to control the audience mood, by making the volume bigger or reducing it, to provide the cleanest acoustic experience.
- Separate tuner output
The engineers themselves claim that this preamp is an easy to carry and to work with and belongs to plug-and-play type. So, if you are not quite confident about your tuning abilities, just ask more experienced person to tune the device once and enjoy the results later on.
- Combo preamp and direct box
- Footswitches for muting and power booster
- Quiet audio performance
Bassbone OD Two-Channel Bass Preamp
Last, but not the least comes the Bassbone OD Preamp. Without further hesitation, let us start reviewing it.
|The Weight||This is the lightest device in our today`s list, which weighs 1 pound only (it is less than half a kilogram even). I can surely say, that it will not be a problem for any person to carry it.|
|The Dimensions||It is 6 * 6 * 6 inches (which is 152 * 152 * 152 in millimeters). Cubic form is convenient for placing on any surface. However, I think that rectangular shape would be better for something as compact as this device.|
|The Material||Nothing outstanding again. Same as always.|
Let us take a look at what this compact thing is capable of. Bassbone OD has the following features:
- Switching mechanism
- Variable adjustability
- Drag control load correction
That`s nice piece of news for all the vintage basses players. However, even if you are playing a modern bass, this feature might come in handy as well.
- Headphone Amp
- Two-channel bass preamp for 1 or 2 basses Built-in Radial direct box with low-Z balanced out Combination power boost and effects loop Powerful EQ and contour control for each bass
- The Radial Bassbone is a power-packed bass preamp that combines on-stage efficiency, amazing tonal control and superb audio performance making it the ideal front end for both live and studio recording
- Designed as a bass command center, the Bassbone lets you connect two basses and seamlessly toggle between them using a footswitch
To sum things up I`ll once more mention all the most important information from the article:
- Radial engineering is a company, producing audio equipment. It has several lines of products. Tonebone is the line of preamps and pedals for bass guitars.
- There are three preamps in Tonebone series, which are considered to be the most successful ones: PZ-Pre, PZ-Pre Deluxe and Bassbone OD Two channels. They all have unique features and come at an affordable price.
- These preamps will be convenient for travelers and those who are used to carrying the equipment around.