|# of the best over-ear headphones||Model||Rating||Frequency range||Sensitivity||Our top||Check|
|1||Monoprice Monolith M1060||10Hz – 50kHz||96dB||2|| |
|2||Oppo PM-3||10Hz – 50kHz||102 dB||1|| |
|3||Philips Fidelio X2||5Hz – 40kHz||100 dB||3|| |
|4||Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO||5Hz – 40kHz||102 dB||4|| |
|5||Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO||5Hz – 35kHz||96dB||5|| |
|6||Sennheiser HD 800||6Hz – 51kHz||102 dB||7|| |
|7||Sony MDR-1000X||4Hz – 40kHz||103 dB||6|| |
|# of the best over-ear headphones||1|
|Monoprice Monolith M1060|
|Frequency range||10Hz – 50kHz|
|# of the best over-ear headphones||2|
|Frequency range||10Hz – 50kHz|
|# of the best over-ear headphones||3|
|Philips Fidelio X2|
|Frequency range||5Hz – 40kHz|
|# of the best over-ear headphones||4|
|Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO|
|Frequency range||5Hz – 40kHz|
|# of the best over-ear headphones||5|
|Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO|
|Frequency range||5Hz – 35kHz|
|# of the best over-ear headphones||6|
|Sennheiser HD 800|
|Frequency range||6Hz – 51kHz|
|# of the best over-ear headphones||7|
|Frequency range||4Hz – 40kHz|
|# of the best bluetooth headphones for music||Model||Rating||Frequency range||Sensitivity||Our top||Check|
|1||Sony WH-1000X M2||10Hz – 50kHz||96dB||1|| |
|2||The Jaybird X3||17Hz – 22kHz||98 dB||3|| |
|3||BOWERS & WILKINS PX||10Hz – 20kHz||111 dB||2|| |
|4||SoundMAGIC E10||15Hz – 22kHz||100 dB||6|| |
|5||AKG Y50||16Hz – 24kHz||115dB||4|| |
|6||Sennheiser HD 201||21Hz – 18kHz||108 dB||5|| |
|# of the best bluetooth headphones for music||1|
|Sony WH-1000X M2|
|Frequency range||10Hz – 50kHz|
|# of the best bluetooth headphones for music||2|
|The Jaybird X3|
|Frequency range||17Hz – 22kHz|
|# of the best bluetooth headphones for music||3|
|BOWERS & WILKINS PX|
|Frequency range||10Hz – 20kHz|
|# of the best bluetooth headphones for music||4|
|Frequency range||15Hz – 22kHz|
|# of the best bluetooth headphones for music||5|
|Frequency range||16Hz – 24kHz|
|# of the best bluetooth headphones for music||6|
|Sennheiser HD 201|
|Frequency range||21Hz – 18kHz|
While searching for headphones, you risk getting swept off your feet despite of the fact that you know your requirements and realize what music and devices you will use. You will be surprised, but all the headphones can be divided in only a few large categories:
- Over-ear headphones. We like them for their best sound quality.
- Noise-cancelling headphones. You will hear only music.
- On-ear headphones. Portable headphones became most popular at the moment.
- In-ear headphones. They will occupy really little space.
We assume these are the leaders in widespread categories:
- “B&O PLAY Beoplay H4” – in High-End Sound Quality;
- Excellent for fitness: “Jaybird X3 Sport Bluetooth Headset”;
- The best Wi-Fi provides “Beats Solo3”;
- “Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Professional Monitor” are considered to be the best of wired headphones;
- Listen to your favorite electronic compositions, the best music for Bose headphones, by “Bose QuietControl 30 Wireless”.
- To our opinion the optimal choice for DJs will be “Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphones”.
The “Kings”, the best over-ear headphones-2018
The first two are planar headphones. To make it clear, if you make a comparison between the sound of non-planar and planar headphones, it will be the choice between coffee with sugar and coffee without sugar. Planar headphones reveal a real, unsweetened aroma and taste of music. You just need to get used to the Kings’ Level.
Monoprice Monolith M1060
Many people have never heard of planar headphones, as there are only a few companies on the market, for example, Oppo and Audeze.
What are planar headphones? Instead of touching the voice coil, the membrane in the planar is fused with it into a single module. This saves it from deformations, and sound is not distorted. The scheme is complex, and rarely applying, but this is most real sound you’ve ever heard.
- M1060 is quite large and round to be complemented with 106-millimeter drivers;
- Each cup is made of wood;
- There are large soft ear pads made of eco-leather for your comfort;
- Headband is self-adjusting, covered with soft material, so the heavy headphones sit comfortably on the head;
- Each earpiece of these music headphones has a 2.5 mm jack which is used to connect to a sound source by means of a 1.5m long cable;
- The cable ends with a short, rectangular, gold-plated 3.5mm plug;
- The set is completed with full-size 6.3mm adapter and the bag.
To assess the sound, do not connect Monolith M1060 to the smartphone; it will not be able to work adequately with these headphones. Ideally, they need a headphone amplifier, such as Oppo HA-2 SE, or a full-size Hi-Fi setup so that the headphones can fully uncover their potential.
Another important feature of Monolith M1060 is the open design. Yes, you will not be the only one who hears your music and those who surround you will become a bit envious as you have the best over ear headphones for listening to music.
We recommend Monolith M1060 headphones to anyone who wants to hear an incredibly cler and detailed sound sitting in a chair at home. They are featuring great sound quality, excellent value for money, removable cable.
Oppo is the world leader of planar headphones production. We’ll tell you in the provocative way, you really needn’t waste your time reading this review, just go and buy these headphones. This is the best model in its price category, which has an impressive combination of excellent design and can provide the countless range of crystal clear sounds which makes them one of the best headphones for listening to music in 2018.
They have a peculiaruty in the form of planar sound emitters. This design for moving the diaphragm is much better in terms of obtaining accurate sound over a wide frequency range with minimal distortion than traditional technologies.
Their sound is impressive by the degree of detail and the spatiality of the stereo picture.
These planar headphones have a closed design, and perhaps this is generally the first such headphones in the world. So yes, they are special.
The combination of planar emitters and closed design means good isolation from external noise and the best perception of sound throughout the frequency range. Compared to Sony MDR-1RNC headphones for music production, Sony’s sound is boring and not energetic.
- Excellent sound quality from planar magnetic drivers
- Closed-back design for privacy and noise isolation
- High sensitivity, light weight and comfortable fit
- Elegant styling and exquisite workmanship
If you are ready to spend 400 $ on overhead headphones, then do not even look for anything other than Oppo PM-3. These are the best headphones out of all that we tested in this price category. They provide everything you can expect from a model of this price, and will make competitors blush. They can be the best headphones for classical music, as well as opera and jazz.
They are great for listening to music at home, and during walking around the city. We can’t give them an even higher recommendation than they have already given themselves. It’s just an amazing model.
Philips Fidelio X2
What are the best headphones for music of any genre? These are excellent headphones of semi-studio type, which will help to feel the entire musical scale of a song. There is a feeling of complete immersion. You can enjoy electronic music, listen to classics or plunge into the rock culture.
- High Resolution Audio (Hi-Res) plays your music in its purest form.
- Acoustic open-back architecture for pristine audio fidelity. Frequency response- 5 – 40 000 Hz
- Dedicated Cable management clip for tangle-free ease. Sensitivity 100 dB @ 1mW
- Deluxe memory foam earpads for long-wearing comfort
Headphones are not too loud, very comfortable, rustic, but come with pleasant design and give you the ocean of positive sound emotions. Great for home when you’re alone.
Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO
The best professional tool needs to be made by professionals and for professionals. Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro headphones are positioned as premium model for studio, but are they suitable for everyday use?
Two replacement cables come in the kit: one straight (3 meters), the second – a twisted “spring” (about 1.5 meters and the manufacturer claims that it stretches to 5 meters). There is no cord with a microphone. From the side of the headphones cables have 3-pin mini-XLR connectors, and 3,5-mm gold-plated “jacks” on the other side. For connecting to fixed equipment with a 1/4 “connector, there is a corresponding adapter screwed on the plug in addition to the velour ear-pads installed on the headphones on the assembly line (leather ear-pads are provided).
- The acoustic design of dynamic radiators is closed.
- The frequency range extends from 5 Hz to 40 kHz.
- The headphone resistance is 250 ohms, and the nominal power is 200 mW.
- The coefficient of nonlinear distortion is 0.05%.
The cups are made of plastic, but the highest quality material is selected. The headband in the leather case is decorated with a decorative stitching and is complemented by a damping gasket. The metal arms are anodized in the color of the ear-cups.
The weight of the headphones is impressive, 388 g, but they are not heavy, you won’t feel them and you can wear them for a long time.
The ear-cups cover the ears completely. At first, the damping material of the new ear-cups seems somewhat harsh, but this feeling passes. The headphones are quite close to the head and provide passive noise insulation. .
High impedance imposes some restrictions on the sound source. The vast majority of conventional smartphones are not suitable.
To show all its good points, DT 1770 Pro requires a device with high output impedance and good capacity, for example, the player Questyle QP1R and the “musician” of all times, Meizu Pro 5.
The DT 1770 Pro sound is great. The emphasis is made on the middle frequencies; they are so bright and colorful, that you are overflown with colors, tonal transitions and shades.
All of the above applies to leather ear cups. In the velour everything is more intense.
DT 1770 Pro is an excellent tool for listening to music, only if you are not going anywhere. And the sound source for these headphones should fully reveal their potential and must be better than an MP3 player or a laptop sound card.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
- Open studio headphones;
- Reliable construction due to the steel spring of the headband;
- The wire is extended from only one cup (from the left);
- Soft headband.
- Transducer type;
- Large headphones, ear pads around the ear (Circumaural);
Sennheiser HD 800
Their high price was determined by the number of man-hours invested in this model while doing the research and real hand assembling in Germany.
The main “secret” of these headphones is a specially designed radiator with an annular diffuser attached to both the internal and external sides. This allows achieving a more rigid fit of the membrane and, as a result, a smaller resonance at a larger volume. And you hear higher quality bass. The second advantage of this radiator is that the sound is transmitted mainly with flat front. A flat wave is perceived by the brain more naturally, and due to this the imaginary scene in the HD 800 strikes is created by volume. To enhance this effect, the headphones are placed slightly to the front of the listener’s ears and are slightly unfolded. The sound quality doesn’t depend on the headphones on the head, which also benefits the overall perception of their sound.
- Emitter: dynamic, 55.88 mm;
- Frequency range: 6 Hz – 51 KHz;
- Impedance: 300 Ω;
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.02%;
- Sensitivity: 102 dB;
- Cable: replaceable, symmetrical, 3 m, oxygen-free copper.
If the world of headphones can be presented as the expensive sports cars, the Sennheiser HD-800 is a local analog Lamborgini Gallardo.
Luxurious and expensive in service (require a good amplifier, DAC, etc.). All we want to conclude: they are contradictory perfect.
Such movies and music headphones are ideal for everyone who often flies by airplanes, works in noisy conditions or drives trains where there is an extreme noise level.
In the helicopter, on small and noisy single-engine Robinson R44 you’ll be able to listen to your favorite music as the noise insulation is excellent, the headphones can create a sound wall between you and the outside world, you can adjust the level of external sounds and hear only the sounds you need.
It is convenient to feel the buttons with your finger. There is microUSB connector in the center of the right ear cup, it serves for charging, next to it is situated a LED indicator showing if the headphones are charged or not.
- The proprietary technology of improving the digital sound DSEE HX, allows you to restore the composition whilr transmitting over Bluetooth. This technology corrects both blemishes of mp3 (works when the wire is connected), and compression flaws of the wireless transmission.
- The stream of transmitted data is 990 kbit/s, the bit intensity is 24 bits at 96 kHz sampling.
- While using Apple Music, do not expect any high resolution. You can improve the settings.
- The declared range of reproducible frequencies is from 4 to 40000 Hz while connected by the wire and from 20 to 20,000 Hz with wireless connection (44.1 kHz sampling) or 20-40000 Hz (96 kHz sampling).
- Use headphones can and should have a proprietary Sony program, otherwise you will not be able to perceive all their performance capabilities.
- The real working time with activated noise cancellation is just over 20 hours, which in any case can be considered to be a good result, rising to the level of the best models.
- Excellent bass and treble processing, sound is as good as live, and it’s good that pauses are audible as silence, there are no external sounds.
The Sony MDR-1000X is an excellent choice for those who travel frequently. In a noisy plane they are a must-have and the price is adequate, they are definitely worth the money.
You can also consider these outstanding ones: Focal Listen, Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature, Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT and Bose QuietComfort 35 II.
The Best Bluetooth Headphones for Music 2018
Sony WH-1000X M2 – perfect noise cancellation
At the first sight it becomes obvious that these are not cheap Chinese headphones, but an expensive product. Despite of the fact that the base of the structure is made of plastic, the headphones are completely reliable, there are no complains about the quality of the assembly or design.
To create high style headphones, the manufacturer removed all the external markings, except for the NFC logo on the left side.
- Their distinguishing feature is the most effective noise reduction due to individual drivers located in the center of the dynamic.
- MicroUSB port on the right side will charge them, and an audio cable connector is located on the left.
- You can use a 3.5 mm audio cable to listen to the music whenever you want to. We estimated excellent Bluetooth operation.
- Sony WH-1000X M2 supports the best LDAC codec, which allows you to listen to Hi-Res records. With this codec you can get the best sound quality without any wires.
- Being just right out of the box, the headphones are tuned to emphasize the basses a little bit, shifting the middle frequencies to the background, but the overall sound remains fairly clear.
We can frankly name them the best wireless music headphones and we highly recommend Sony WH-1000X M2 to anyone who wants to get one of the best active noise reduction options with excellent sound and pleasant ergonomics.
The Jaybird X3
These classic wireless music headphones can be connected by cable and are equipped with a remote control. The case is made of plastic, the weight of the Jaybird X3 with ear pads and cartilaginous locks totals in funny 17.9 grams. They are almost not felt during use.
- MINI WIRELESS BUDS – The X3 Headphones by Jaybird are designed to be as small as possible without sacrificing performance and looks
- UNIVERSAL SECURE FIT –The patented silicone ear fins securely attach to the top and back/lower surface areas of the ear for a snug fit, locking the earbuds in during workouts and intense physical activities. Includes multiple sizes of silicon and Comply tips for maximum noise isolation, fit, and comfort
- SWEAT-PROOF – Built to last with a sleek yet rugged design, the X3 Headphones are great for sports, workouts, and all weather conditions. Their hydrophobic nano-coating will keep moisture away, whether it’s sweat, rain, or snow
- LONG BATTERY LIFE – Don’t let a low battery interrupt your day. The X3 has an 8-hour battery life. 15 minutes of charging gives you a full hour of playtime, so you’ll always be ready for anything. Operation : Operating: 32º F – 113º F (0º C – 45º C . Storage: 14º F – 122º F (-10º C – 50º C)
- PERSONALIZED SOUNDS – The MySound App allows you to tweak and customize the sound of your X3 headphones for a personalized experience, and save them for later as a profile
The Jaybird X3 is a wireless headset which can be easily used for both sports and everyday listening to music. The materials and sound quality is decent, they provide a high degree of autonomy, without requiring frequent charging.
BOWERS & WILKINS PX
Excellent headphones with active noise reduction. The manufacturer refused using large surfaces, each cup has a ledge of matt titanium color, which is surrounded by a belt of textured plastic. Users noted the high quality of materials and sound of headphones both in Bluetooth and analog audio.
Headphones with active noise reduction system fully cover the ear. The control buttons are located on the back of the right ear cup.
There is a usual 3.5-mm audio jack which will be useful, for example, in an airplane.
- Bowers & Wilkins PERFORMANCE – PX draws on decades of Bowers & Wilkins design experience to take you to the very heart of the music with its breath-taking performance
- ADAPTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION – Perfect sound anywhere – on a plane, in the street or in the office. The best adaptive noise cancelling headphones, customizable to your exact preference.
- FEEL MORE OF YOUR MUSIC – Built with the same drive units from our P9 Signature headphones, the PX provides optimized listening performance. We have also subtly angled the drivers to provide a more natural stereo perspective.
The new balanced model Bowers & Wilkins PX showed excellent results in active noise reduction without loss of sound quality, which is a usual case with noise-canceling headphones.
The price of about $ 500 is quite high, but taking into account the manifested qualities we can reconcile with it.
These are good music headphones, cheap and, nevertheless, efficient ones. The in-ear headphones at a price where buds like these start getting serious. They cost 70 $ and are essentially a more advanced version of the classic SoundMagic E10. For years, that pair has been widely considered one of the best budget sets you can get.
Due to the minimal cost, metal construction and detailed soft sound, SoundMAGIC E10 was immediately liked by music amateurs. Then there were not so many competitors, our region learned about the same Xiaomi Piston later.
According to the users’ reviews who spent a whole year with SoundMAGIC E10, that this is one of the most melodic plugs in its price range. There was only a disproportion in the lower frequency spectrum, not everyone liked this bass pitch.
The first thing that will be noted by any user who will directly compare the E10 with the E50 is the detail and airiness of the sound. High frequencies are crystal clear, there is no ”dust” and “fog”, the vocal is transmitted smoothly and beautifully. You can imagine it as Tame Impala and David Gilmour playing: atmospheric and unbuttoned. The bass is elastic and fast, it does not smear, and in general headphones perfectly cope with fast music, for example, with Bullet For My Valentine.
- Unique, all metal earphone construction
- Powerful bass balanced with superb musical detail
- Frequency range: 15Hz~22KHz
If you are looking for optimal wireless headphones for a smartphone or tablet, the E10 can be considered a good purchase. Headphones are especially convenient for playing sports. In addition, they do not restrict your movements due to the lack of a long meter wire (which, accordingly, does not mess about clothes and does not distort sound). Drivers are tuned thinly (at times it seems that too), and this model can give worthy repulse to eminent competitors by sound characteristics, where the consumer often pays for a brand.
AKG Y50 headphones are available in several colors, giving you a freedom of choice. Headphones are light, designed for daily use – the full-sized model weighs 190 grams.
The headband is rather thin, but thanks to the metal insert, rigidity and reliability do not suffer at all. The pressure of the cups can be estimated as strong enough, but not at all obtrusive.
The outer covers are made of aluminum.
The wire is quite ordinary. At the entrance points to the plug and the cup, additional plastic clips are used to prevent the cable from breaking. Focused on smartphones, four-pin connector. There is a small one-buttoned microphone with a microphone. The package includes a 6.3-mm adapter for profile amplifiers.
The Y50 ACGs do start to work at extremely low frequencies, but the entire low-frequency range down to 150 Hz is somewhat omitted relative to the rest. There will be a lot of bass, but the bottom will not put pressure on the middle. The middle itself shows a good unevenness. But at high frequencies there is a noticeable decline.
- Signature AKG-quality sound with enriched bass performance
- On-ear headphone with closed ear-cup design for reduced ambient noise
- Long-lasting, comfortable fit with rugged, lightweight design
Earphones AKG Y50 can be put quite a high rating. The average result for sound quality, but soundly manufactured and have an interesting design. If you do not need an emphasis on low frequencies, then Y50 can be safely recommended for purchase. But remember that sensitivity is not high.
It will work well with the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 6. But for example with the HTC One AKG Y50 smartphone is audibly bad.
On the whole they are smooth and very easy on the ear and not expensive – we recommend them.
Sennheiser HD 201
Closed dynamic stereo headphones for those who know the value of money. They provide a powerful sound transmission, good protection from external noise, and they are extremely comfortable.
- Powerful sound transmission
- Juicy, distinct low frequencies
- Light weight and high comfort
- Good external noise suppression
- High-quality ear pads with artificial leather pads
Great headphones. Perhaps it is one of the best variants among the inexpensive. Both in sound and in convenience and in appearance we would give them solid 4+++ (of 5).